Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Vacation Books


We are going to Denver next week. I will be there for three weeks with the kids. Of course, this brings up a very important question: what will I take to read? I need to bring enough to keep me busy. But, I also need to bring some different kinds of books so that depending on my mood, I have appropriate reading material. There's nothing worse than standing in the airport bookstore, browsing through the best sellers of the moment, and then spending 11.95 for a crappy book. (I get frustrated when AJ does not plan ahead for his trip reading material and then comes home with an 11.95 crappy book that I do not want put on the shelves with our other books.) Or standing at your in-laws book shelves and not seeing anything that grabs your fancy.
This is what I'm thinking about.

Dorothy Sayers: Strong Poison and Gaudy Night. I picked up these two book in small paperback format at a used book store a couple of weeks ago.

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich: Ever since reading Well Behaved Women, I have been wanting to read her Midwife's Tale and her journey in Mormonism recorded in All Gods' Critters Have a Place in the Choir.

Kiran Desai: Inheiritance of Loss. Strongly recommended by B.

Thomas Friedman: The World is Flat.

Maybe I also need to think about some fluffier stuff...

And before I go, I will complete the 5 book reviews that are lingering in the drafts section!


4 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm about half way through The Know-It-All and just like the Bible one, it's very entertaining. If you like AJ Jacob's writing, you'll like it. Plus, I'm picking up random facts that will help me at Jeopary and Trivial Pursuit.

BertvU said...

I'm sure you've read it, but I just read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynn Truss and enjoyed it. It's a really quick read though. If you want real fluff, I read "Transfer of Power" by Vince Flynn, which is like Tom Clancy, but on like a 7th grade reading level. We can lend it to you. What else? If you want a fun historical book, I really enjoyed reading "Lies my Teacher Told Me," which I'm sure you'd find interesting. Then, if you want to read up a little bit on your future senator, I can lend you "The Truth (with Jokes)".

That's what I've got. Let me know if you want any of these.

Belle said...

GP--I haven't read Eats, Shoots and Leaves, but would like to. I'm not so much into Tom Clancy and spin offs.

BertvU said...

No, it's not Tom Clancy. It's worse. Trust me. But like I was saying, especially after finding out that you're a grammatical stickler, you'll really get a kick out of ES&L. See if you can't get it out of the library.