Saturday, July 26, 2008

I love my library!

My county has a fabulous library system. There are branches all over the area, including one that is a couple of miles from my house. These are things that I love about it:

1. I have an online account that allows me to see what I have checked out, to renew items, and to search the catalog.

2. As an addendum to #1, I can order any piece of material that the library has anywhere in its system, and have it delivered to my branch. And I can do it all online. I have taken such advantage of this. And since MJ has been reading like crazy too this summer, so has she. I wish we got an end of the year statement so I could see what we have checked out and how many things got delivered for us. (I would also love to get a back stage view of the way materials move from one branch to another. When I put an order in, how is it decided where the material will come from? Is it based on proximity to my branch? Do vehicles transport materials to a central location and then send then to the requesting branches, or do vehicles go between branches? How many materials are shifted around between branches over the course of a month or year?) I just sent in my renewal for my "friends of the library" membership because I am so grateful, so often, for the ease that we can get so many books with just a few clicks of the mouse.

3. Great programs. We love storytime at our branch. I take the kids on a regular basis when they are going. Right now, their summer programs are going on. This summer, we have been to different branches for Spanish storytime and a Jr Girls Book Group, which MJ absolutely loved.








Our library has this cool huge planter like box with the words to an Emily Dickenson poem inscribed around it.


TO make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.
The revery alone will do
If bees are few.


I wish I would have gotten a picture when the bright yellow lillies were all in bloom, but I kept forgetting my camera.


3 comments:

andalucy said...

I lurve our library.

Melanie said...

I don't think I ever really appreciated the library until we moved to Denver. I go every week. You could say it's my fave.

Belle said...

Yeah, when you can get Project Runway and all sorts of other TV on DVD at the library, that's a total score. But, do you ride your bike to the library? And a side question: does your bike have a cute basket? I can't remember. But, I really want to get one for my bike.