Thursday, February 28, 2008

Labor, Delivery, and Post-Partum Reading

I have been thinking about what I wanted to read in the hospital and right after the baby is born. I wanted something warm and nourishing, but not some plot driven, emptiness that would be easy to read but not provide any sustenance. I asked around, got some ideas, but nothing really resonated with me.

I finally came up with three possibilities:



Reading Lolita in Tehran--I have started this. I really like it. But, it seems like it might be hard to stay focused on when I am tired. I'll take it with me anyway.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan--Someone else blogged about reading this while in labor. It's fiction, and it's not long. Maybe this will be a good one.

Gideon--A Pulitzer winner from a few years ago. I've heard it's really good with beautiful writing, but also a little slow. We'll see.

They are all three in my suitcase. Except for Reading Lolita, since I have actually been reading it.

Just this week, I got an email from the library saying that a new book that I had requested months ago but which had a really long waiting list had been delivered to our branch. It is about the Supreme Court by a writer from the New Yorker. I picked it up today, and instead of the normal three week check-out period, this time it's only two weeks since there are so many people who want it. Ugh. I'm not sure I'm going to be up for this in the next two weeks, but of course after waiting for such a long time for it, I feel like I have to read it now.

No comments: