Friday, February 22, 2008

How Green Was My Valley

On Amazon.com, the average rating for How Green was My Valley is 4.6 stars. On GoodReads, the rating is 4.31. When I was Googling the book, I found it on several people's list of best books ever. I personally didn't think it was that great of a book. (On a technical note, I wonder if people who like books are more likely to rate and review them, which would skew the average rating higher than what it would be if all who read the book ranked it.)



Before I write about all the things I didn't like in this book, I should say that I have no knowledge of Welsh geography or history. I don't know anything about custom and culture there. And perhaps I'm not literary enough to really appreciate the prose of a book like this. That might skew my opinion of this book, but it was really hard for me to get through it and towards the end, I was just slogging to the end so that I could be done with it.

I didn't think that there were memorable characters. For a novel that covers such a long period of time, all the characters were remarkably consistent in their attitudes and actions. I didn't see any real growth in them.

The book felt way too long to me. The story was slow and it was hard for me to keep all the characters straight. One piece of someone's life would crop up and then disappear so that you never find out what happens. The novel is a family saga, and I suppose that it's somewhat realistic that all the loose ends aren't tied up, especially when told from one person's perspective. But, I just don't like it as a novelistic device. If this were my family history, I would love reading it like this, but it just made for a winding, indirect story.

The connection through the whole novel is the Valley where Huw's family lives. (I don't know much about Welsh names, but out of all that Llewelyn uses in the book, "Huw" is my least favorite.) The economy there based on coal and how that disintegrates over time, the degradation of the environment due to the mining, and the eventual disintegration of the whole community because of the way mining changes during this time period. But, the story of the strikes and the coal and the labor unions wasn't very interesting to me for some reason. So, it didn't feel very coherent to me.

And speaking of Huw, the narrator, there sure were a lot of times when he somehow conveniently overhears a conversation so that the reader will know what's going on in the larger family. It often seemed somewhat contrived.

In some of the reviews I read, people talked about the lovely descriptive prose. I didn't really like the long prose sections. Again, it probably reflects more on my literary tastes rather than the actual value of the book. But, I felt like these sections were way too long and overly sentimental. I started getting fed up with them towards the end so that I started to scan.

I also had a hard time getting past the way women were portrayed in the book, the vigilante-ism of the community, the parental authoritarianism, the moral strictness, and the narrow mindedness of the community, especially about religion. I couldn't set aside my values and enjoy the book for a peek into history, if that indeed is what it was.

The one part that resonated some with me with the narrator's connection to the Valley. This [highly edited!] passage illustrates his feelings (and also the prose style of Llewellyn)

The Valley was part of us and we were part of the Valley, not one more than the other, never one without the other. Of me was the Valley and the Valley was of me, and every blade of grass, and every stone, and every leaf of every tree, and every knob of coal, or drop of water, or stick or branch or flower or grain of pollen, or creature living, or dust in the group, all were of me as my blood, my bones, or the notions from my mind.

My Valley, O my Valley, within me, I will live in you eternally. Let Death or worse strike this mind and blindness eat these eyes if thought or sight forget you.


This is the selection for our book group in March which I almost certainly won't be attending. I am curious, though, what other women thought of the book.


2 comments:

andalucy said...

I have to finish this today--I'm almost done.

I agree with most of your negatives on the book. Last night I talked with J a LONG time about the extremely narrow portrayal of women. None of the women have the slightest spark of intellectual curiosity. I don't know that I would characterize them as flat or shallow, but there is definitely a women's sphere vs. men's sphere and when the author was rhapsodizing about the differences between men and women, I was like, give me a break. It drove me nuts that the mom was so anti-intellectual. Also, did you notice that ALL of the women are subversive in some way? It's like the men are the community peace keepers and also more faithful and law-abiding than the women. It annoyed me too that Huw's girlfriend was so completely the seducer.

If the book had been edited to 1/2 its length, it would have been twice as interesting. I did like some of the flowery prose, but not most of it.

But I did find it to be, overall, an interesting read that transcended the dated gender roles. I was fascinated by the small community trying to maintain its social norms and also do right in the sight of God. The characters struggled to know what was right and then do it. It was interesting to me how their decisions often seemed right or at least inevitable at the time they made them, but then the consequences were bad and the characters were left wondering if they had really chosen right. The book also showed how much an individual's choices affect the community.

Belle said...

Somehow, in the different edits of my original post, I lost the other paragraph I typed about the way women were portrayed. I liked Bron ok--she was probably the least offensive to me--but I didn't love her. Then when she was so snotty about the bookstore trip, I lost all respect for her. All she wanted for her boys was religious materials? And she was so antsy to get out of there. I totally agree about the total lack of intellectual curiosity among the women. And I thought the men were a little condescending about it too. The only female that was portrayed as having any sort of intellectual interest was Huw's girlfriend--what's her name? Ceinwen or something like that. She did well in school, but she was so manipulative and deceptive in trying to secure Huw's interest in her.

And the double standard about sex really bothered me too.

Rhapsodizing is a great word to describe the sections on gender differences.