Thursday, February 14, 2008

Getting Ready for Baby Sportacus

The due date is 2 1/2 weeks away. I still haven't packed my bag to take to the hospital, but we are slowly getting ready for the arrival of baby Sportacus.

As an aside, I love the name Sportacus. T dubbed the baby with this name when we found out he was a boy and it stuck. With MJ, we kind of called her Lucy in utero and with T, we called him Joey. But, we didn't regularly refer to them with these names. Not like now. I hope the name stickes past his birth.

The last few days, I have washed tiny little undershirts and jammies, gotten out the baby car seat and washed its cover too, and located the baby basket. We have a Moses kind of basket that AJ's mom gave us before MJ was born that our babies have slept in the first 2-3 months. Sportacus will be no different in that regard, but he will probably be sleeping in our closet since we don't have an extra bedroom this time around. I don't want to put him in with T until he is sleeping through the night pretty well, so our closet will double as a nursery. So different than when MJ was born and we spent a lot of time getting her room set up and getting all the supplies we thought she needed.

I bought newborn diapers (so amazingly tiny), breast pads, and jumbo Always at the store a couple of days ago. I quickly forget how much I had to focus on controlling bodily fluids right after my babies was born, but it's all coming back to me now.

I have been thinking about all the scenarios of when the baby could come and am trying to plan for all possibilities. I have a list with lots of phone numbers, and hope that it won't be hard to find somewhere for MJ and T to go when we are heading to the hospital. I have talked to AJ multiple times about how to get a hold of him at work. And I have been feeling bad that we don't have any family close by to help out with this part and to visit us in the hospital.

We took the hospital tour on Tuesday. That was a relief. Now, we know where to park and go in and where the labor and delivery area is. And we have seen it with our own eyes which makes me feel calmer about it. Looking at the hospital materials with the pictures of newborns, I had a shock of reality that this baby really is coming very soon and I got a little emotional. I am ready, I think, to have him join our family, to see what he looks like, and to start to get clues to his personality.

I haven't cooked any meals to freeze for quick prepartion. Nice idea, but that's just not going to happen. I did buy some chicken nuggets and orange chicken at Costco. Does that count for anything? One of my favorite things with a newborn is getting to read so much with all the nursing you have to do. I have a pretty good book list. I have a couple of library books I want to get through, and I ordered a few more to our branch. I should pull out all the books I want to read that I have laying around the house.

2 comments:

andalucy said...

I wonder if Sportacus will be another T in looks and personality. Maybe this one will look more like you and less like AJ. (not that there is anything wrong with looking like AJ :-))

Belle said...

I was just thinking today how shocked I was when T was born because he looked sooo different from MJ, and he wasn't a very cute infant, while MJ was so pretty. And then wondering exactly that--whether he will be a mini-AJ like T is.

The dr today said I'm 50% effaced and 1 cm dialated, so things are coming along.