Friday, December 28, 2007

Failing America's Faithful: How Today's Churches Are Mixing God with Politics and Losing Their Way

I have such high hopes for this book. I heard Kathleen Kennedy Townsend on NPR discussing the ideas behind this book with a panel and it sounded so interesting. I took her comments to mean that the book was about the Democratic party's ceding of religion to the right and the need for the left to reclaim religion. It was somewhat about that. But, it was as much a memoir of her Catholic faith and her vision of the application of Catholicism and Christianity in general to policy decisions. The historical perspective and political analysis was shallow, I thought, and I did some scanning. She had some interesting tidbits about women's status in the Catholic church and the rise of personal morality evangelicals.

No comments: