Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Advanced Maternal Age All the Way!


When I talked to my dad on my birthday on Sunday, he said that 36 is a great age. Old enough, but young enough. I'm not sure I agree with him. Personally, I think I will come into my own a bit more in my 40's when my kids are older.

Sunday was a great day though. If we had to have church all year at 1 pm, at least it was a year when my birthday fell on a Sunday. I lounged about in bed reading until my family brought me breakfast on one of our Target cafeteria trays--no flower in a vase, but yummy eggs, fruit, and hot chocolate. Then I enjoyed my breakfast in quiet while they went and wrapped presents. They all came back and we opened presents. This year was the best book haul I have had in a very long time. My mom picked out 3 books off my Amazon wish list, including a book to fuel my Lost obsession (season 4 premiers on Jan 31st!) and two books for my book group this year. AJ got my a bio of Virginia Woolf and one of my sisters got me a book edited by Ira Glass (I love This American Life) called The New Kings of Non-Fiction that she read and really liked. Getting books made me so happy. I love new books!

MJ and T each picked me out some jewelry, and although I don't often wear jewelry, I was pretty excited about their presents. I wore some thin silver bangles (I had a set almost identical to them in the 80's) and a black shiny necklace to church on Sunday. MJ picked me out a silver chain with a cubic zirconium pendant that I wore yesterday, but best of all is the big chunky bracelet with big plastic yellow rectangles. AJ said that both of them were going back and forth about what to get me, switching one item for another. But, this item was always T's top choice, and no matter what AJ said, T needed to get that for mommy. I love it. I had it on yesterday with a black top--it looked like I was rooting for the Steelers.

AJ also picked me out some new pj's. I guess my beloved Old Navy pajama pants are headed for the dust bin--I've had them for probably 7 years and I love them. They are so comfy and perfect, but they are starting to fall apart.

My sister with the curliest hair also framed a quote for me: "Life is curly. Don't even try to straighten it out." I agree! For the most part, I've always thought that I've been given curly hair, it's not really made to go straight, and I should take what I have and make the best of it. Three of my sisters that also have curly hair have betrayed their roots by straightening. I refuse to do it. Even in the late 90's when NO ONE was wearing their hair curly, I refused to straighten. And I like the generalization to life too.

AJ was excited that his mom got me a book light--I often lay in bed reading after he's going to sleep, justifying it by saying that it doesn't bother him. But, I'm sure it's not the same as going to sleep with it completely black.

I had to leave for church a little early since I was playing the organ. I was happy that the music chair let me talk her into replacing I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day with Hark the Herald Angels Sing. It's not that I dislike the first (which I somewhat do), but it's that she has a preference for the peaceful, solemn Christmas hymns over the exhuberant, joyous ones (that need a trumpet stop). We didn't sing Hark last year, and she didn't put Far Far Away on the docket this year (she said it's too hard for the congregation to sing). Anyway, at least we got to pair Silent Night with a more upbeat, vigorous song.

I actually liked Gospel Doctrine on Sunday. That was a plus.

And then, despite a lot of snow falling and wind blowing, we made it up to Maple Grove to eat dinner with K and D and family. We had a great time as usual and super good food.

By the time we got home, the kids were really tired out and went straight to sleep.

A good day. Good family time, fun presents, tasty food, and time with good friends.

1 comment:

andalucy said...

i'm glad you made it up to Maple Grove! I was thinking about you guys.

But I'm a pretty loser v.t. not even knowing it was your birthday!!

I am so glad you had your way about the music. I prefer jubilant too and I love how you play. You play a serious "sit up and take notice" oragan, girl. I'm confused about Far, Far Away. Too hard to sing? That's one of my favorites.

Well... belated Happy Birthday!