Friday, December 14, 2007

Enrichment Dinner Over!

Last night was the annual Christmas enrichment dinner. Thankfully, it is over. I am relieved. These events are always so stressful for me. I was grateful to have two other women whom I delegated quite a bit, so while I oversaw both the dinner and the decorations, they took care of the details. Unfortunately, one is probably moving and the other will have a new baby (with me days away from my delivery) when the next enrichment is scheduled to happen. We need to figure out a way to handle that.

I ended up making three trifles for dessert and my kitchen was a total disaster when I left. I came home a little after 10 to find AJ mostly through the dishes. What a good man. I didn't take photos of my trifle. I dyed the whipped cream for chocolate one pink and sprinkled crushed peppermints on top and throughout. AJ took care of its aesthetic aspect by decorating the top with mint leaves.

The dinner was delicious and I think people enjoyed it. I was in charge of the program. I think it went pretty well. Next year, if I am in still in charge of enrichment, I will find someone else to accompany the musical numbers. I felt like I was doing everything in the program. I had a major problem finding women to say a few words for this part of it. Lots of people had conflicts so they couldn't attend. I ended up speaking a lot. (It made me want to teach.) I enjoyed doing research into Las Posadas and into the origin of the carol Bring a Torch Jeanette, Isabella. My main thought was about how the Christmas story is not just historical, but the ways that we can be part of the nativity, just like the peregrinos, just like the milkmaids.

But, I'm tired. I had a hard time winding down to sleep last night and then never felt completely settled into slumber all night long. I don't know if it was just the build up, or if it was the chocolate mint trifle I indulged in mere minutes before getting into bed. This morning, I enjoyed some time by myself finishing up Christmas shopping and then sitting at Barnes and Noble sipping Godiva hot chocolate while starting a new book. This afternoon, I tried to work up energy to get my house back together and managed to make some progress.

No comments: