Friday, December 14, 2007

Basilica: The Splendor and the Scandal:Building St Peter's

I saw this book when I was in Italy and decided it was worth a read. Although we didn't make it to Rome this trip, I loved seeing the Vatican Museum and St Peter's when we there before. It was one of my favorite things.

The book. Eh. I learned quite a bit. I didn't realize how long it took to build St Peter's, the number of popes that were involved, and Michelangelo's large role in helping the basilica to progress along. I learned about Bernini. And just about the historical context of the times. I didn't realize that Rome was sacked in 1527. And how the church reacted to the Reformation.

But, I felt like Scotti swerved around a lot. There were too many names, too many snapshots of people that I will quickly forget, too much deviation from the story of St Peter's. And none of the main actors was really made memorable. I also wish that more photos of all the things she discussed were included. I'm glad I didn't buy it while I was there.

No comments: