Thursday, October 18, 2007

Market Day

Tuesdays and Thursdays are market day in Vicenza. Starting around 8 in the morning, the entire piazza and up the side streets are filled with vendors hawking their wares under tents. Just the sheer logistics of getting their goods in and out of selling areas is remarkable. I love walking around, looking at all the clothes and the people who are are out shopping. There is always a good lively crowd--older women in heels and suits with perfectly coiffed hair, mothers with their babies in strollers, young people. It feels like the whole of Vicenza comes out for the market. Forget about Target or the grocery store. So much of what you need is right there. Clothes of all types, ties and scarfs, knick-knacks, kitchen pots and pans, tablecloths and blankets, plus produce, fish, cheese and flowers are all available within feet of each other. In a short time, you can gather everything you need.


I found a great bag that I have been using ever since, including our trip to Tuscany. I can sling over my chest, making it so much easier to carry that my other bag which constantly slips off my shoulder. And I got a poncho which I thought would work well for a winter pregnancy. I have been wearing it since then--it has been chilly in the mornings.
I think the picture that T took of Nana at the market is pretty good, by the way.

1 comment:

andalucy said...

That is one very young-looking nana.