Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Italy Adventures

T and I made it to Italy last week. The weather has been absolutely beautiful and Italy is enchanting. We are looking forward to AJ and MJ's arrival tomorrow afternoon, and I have been working on the details of our trip to Pisa, Lucca, and Florence next week.
We got into Venice about 4:30 in the afternoon. Our flight from MSP was overnight, and T slept a good amount, but I didn't--there was a lot going on for most of the flight. The women in front of me, who were missionaries travelling to Africa, were so chatty. And when the loudest one in particular wasn't talking, she was digging through her enormous bag which sounded like it was full of aluminum foil covered treats. So annoying when you're trying to sleep. Anyway, we did pretty well getting through Amsterdam. T was a trooper and in good spirits. I was happy to see C after we got our bags in Venice. She helped us to the car and then we headed home. T and I both went to bed around 11 that night--pretty good when it was only 4 pm CST.

I fell asleep instanteously, and jumped out of bed at 7 am when I heard the church bells ringing the hour. I was anxious to get out exploring Vicenza, but decided to wait for a while to either find a guide or a map. TF took me for a walk around Vicenza, and in just that little time walking very near their home, I was awed and charmed--the aromas, views, and atmosphere was breath-taking. I can't believe that this is really where they live. I'm sure that the charm wears off with time here, with their everyday stresses of dealing with parking etc, but I am in love with their city. And it's such a great way to visit Europe with kids. We use AJ's parents place as a base, where we can have quiet days. And when we want to hit the museums or places further afield, they get to stay and enjoy time with nana and papa.


This is a view through the gate of the Teatro Olympico, dating from the mid-1500's, from the first morning's walk with TF.


This is a Palladian palazzo a few minutes walk from AJ's parents house.

No comments: