Friday, October 05, 2007

Frankenstein

For book group this month, we did Frankenstein. I was a bit behind in my reading, so read through it in a couple of days. Kinda crazy book. I didn't like the monotone voice--the ever present Mary Shelley--of all the characters. Ever the monster spoke in the most educated and vocab filled voice in his 6-8 chapter monologue (after learning to speak by watching cottagers teach an Arabian woman to speak French--he also learned all about geography, politics, etc. In fact, after these experiences, he devoured John Milton's Paradise Lost.) I could not lose myself in her fantasy world. It just didn't work for me. The women portrayed in the book drove me crazy--very one-dimensional and the very idea of a Victorian woman. Who is that perfect???

But, it was a decent read. And I guess there were a few of those timeless themes that supposedly help to make a book a classic. I thought Victor was crazy and irresponsible. I couldn't believe that he just left monster-man (a much more sympathetic creature to me) and for two years didn't do anything about his creation. It was only after the death of his brother that he was forced to deal with the situation. It reminded me a bit of the movie AI. What is our responsibility to those things that we create?

No comments: