Thursday, January 15, 2009

Organization at Home

Last week, I read an article in the Washington Post which suggested that an easy way to start decluttering and organizing at home was to first tackle the linen closet. A confined space which could be cleaned out in a fairly short amount of time? Sign me up.

I have had some struggles with clutter, with things going lost in our house, with crankiness about it all.

Exhibit #1. T's boot went missing. He was supposed to bring winter clothes to preschool to play outside. Much to his dismay, he was forced to wear MJ's old Hello Kitty boots. I was mad. He was mad and upset. "All the kids will laugh at me!"

Exhibit #2. MJ can't find her spelling notebook. She doesn't know where her agenda for school is. I threaten. I scold.

I could go on and on.

So, I decided to do the linen closet. And that I could do all the other non-bedroom closets in the house. A small triumph to boost me up and give me encouragement for other bigger jobs.

As of today, I have completed the linen closet, the front hall closet (that doubles as a pantry), and the laundry room closet. I have one more closet in our upstairs hall to do. I have several bags of stuff to get rid of. And it feels great.

While I am feeling this motivation, I decided to pull out my home organization books that have been gathering dust on my shelves for months and months. I just started one today. I am trying to look past statements like: "The only thing that can stop you is you! There's a u in every excuse."

Wish me luck! I need all the good kharma I can get for this.


4 comments:

Markie said...

If I send you all of my good thoughts and karma, can you promise that it will come back to me and that someday I'll have the desire/drive/determination to organize? (although my linen closet looks pretty good at this exact moment - maybe I'll try the kids' closet this week). I'll send you lots of good thoughts (and confidence in your ability to rock it) whether or not the universe sends me organization mojo.

Belle said...

Thanks Markie. I have found that I must seize on these moments when the happen, because they are so rare as well as fleeting. But, this time will be different, right?? If only I can get to the toys and the kitchen before the motivation completely dissipates.

Jen said...

I swear I read this exact article last year about this time in the Post. It also inspired me to clean out our closets....

Now I'm nervous that the Post is recycling articles to save $. That would not be good.

Andy said...

"Wish me luck!"

Good luck . . . you'll need it with that good-for-nothing husband!