Saturday, January 03, 2009

Lost in Translation


This is the first time I'm trying one of these book challenges. I mostly read whatever suits me and whatever looks good. But, Lost in Translation was simple and not too overwhelming, plus interesting and appealing enough to persuade me to try it: I just have to read 6 books in translation during 2009. Here's my first attempt at a list, but I don't feel bound to follow it exactly.



Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev (Russian)
The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolanos (Spanish, Chile)
100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Spanish, Colombia)
Nine Guardians by Rosario Castellanos (Spanish, Mexico)
Here's to You, Jesusa by Elena Poniatowska (Spanish, Mexico)
Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke (German)

Back-ups
Seeing by Jose Saramago (Portuguese, Brazil)
The Rebels by Sandor Marai (Hungarian)
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (French)
The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (Spanish, Chile)
Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon by Jorge Amado (Portuguese, Brazil)
Borges And The Eternal Orangutans by Luis Fernando Verissimo (Portuguese, Brazil)
Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Llosa Vargas (Spanish, Peru)



4 comments:

BertvU said...

Are you going to read them all in English? I tried Cien Anos de Soledad and it killed me. Way too tough in Spanish.

Belle said...

No way! I can barely read picture books with MJ in Spanish without having to pull out the dictionary to look up words here and there. I do want to work on my Spanish this year, but not by reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

BertvU said...

Sounds smart to me. Actually, you could do it with Garcia Marquez, just one of his short stories. Maybe. . . How is Maren's Spanish coming along.

Belle said...

Only if a short story were in a 200-level Spanish collection with all the hard words footnoted and in English at the bottom of the page!

Her Spanish is coming along really well. Do you have any idea when you might be back in Minnesota?