Monday, September 08, 2008

A Veritable Bounty

On Saturday, I went to the farmer's market first thing in the morning. After rereading parts of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle for book group this month, I was determined to take advantage of the local bounty before cold weather sets in. I wanted not only to eat some delicious vegetables, but to preserve some for the long winter months ahead.


I walked out of the market with 33 zucchini, probably 20 peppers, a huge box of roma tomatoes, a couple of eggplants, several large bunches of basil, and some onions.

By Saturday night, I had 6 bags grated zucchini, 12 bags of sliced peppers and onions, and 14 containers of sauced tomatoes for spaghetti and pizza. And for dinner on Sunday, we had delicious pasta with fresh pesto and tomatoes and a mouth watering ratatouille. Unfortunately, I didn't get apples from the farmer's market, and ended up staring at the granny smiths from Chile at the grocery store. I bought them and made a delcious apple crisp. Does that purchase cancel out all the good from buying locally? Small steps, right?? No matter, our dinner was a delectable way to welcome in the start of fall.

No comments: