Sunday, September 21, 2008

Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City

By Kirsten Miller One of the girls in my primary class has been talking about this book a lot, lauding it all the time, trying to persuade us all to read it, and utilizing plot points in random ways through the whole lesson.

Well, I read it this week and it is a super fun book. I wish that I could have read it when I was 10 or 11. Nancy Drew wouldn't stand a chance against Kiki Strike--part detective, but more super-agent-secret-spy. She and her gang of the Irregulars (including experts in surveillance, disguise, and explosives) discover and explore the secret underworld of New York City and foil nefarious plots while their parents are left totally clueless. In a great twist, the villain is a beautiful, rich, but mean hearted princess. There are no male heroes in this story--the girls rely on their smarts and toughness to get out of sticky and dangerous situations (including their escape from thousands of creepy overgrown Manhattan rats). In addition to the great story, the narrator, Ananka, adds tips on topics like how to lie and detect liars, and "how to kick some butt". I was so drawn in that I thought, momentarily at least, that I could personally escape a kidnapping plot or trail someone without getting caught. Kiki, Ananka, and Irregulars are tough and smart. Sidney Bristow, just a few years younger. Full of awesome girl power.

1 comment:

You Are My Fave said...

Because of your recommendation this book is sitting on my floor just waiting to be read. I think I'll start today.