Sunday, January 06, 2008

Dragon Slippers

This is a young young adult book, or an older children's book I suppose, by a woman, Jessica Day George, I know from our time in New Jersey. I had heard about it before it was published, and then when I saw Shannon Hale's interview with her, I decided it was time to read it.


It was a fun, light read. This is Jessica's first published book, so that's great news for her. She has always been a fantasy freak, and this is one big fairy tale. I thought that her voice as author was a little inconsistent at times, and the writing wasn't as good as some other YA books I've read, but kudos to her for getting it published. There were a lot of fun things about it--I loved the dragon stained glass collection and the way Creel (not my favorite name for a character) used them in her embroidery. And there is a character named Tobin! I have a secret theory that Jessica subconsciously pocketed the name when she got T's birth announcement and then pulled it out to use in her book.

No comments: