Sunday, January 20, 2008

Book of a Thousand Days

I think this is one of Shannon Hale's best books. I enjoyed it much more than her last two Bayern books. The story--based on a Brothers Grimm fairy tale Maid Maleen that I have never heard of--held together well. The characters were developed nicely, despite the diary format. And she captured me in the world of the book. There were no jarring reminders that this was a story written in the 21st century. The characters, their actions, and their language felt authentic. The world of Dashti and Saren felt consistent. And Shannon Hale's writing is beautiful and lyrical.


Some others have commented that this book feels more like historical fiction than fantasy. And I agree. The setting and time Hale creates felt like it was a real historical location in the Asian Steepes. Indeed, Hale's setting was inspired by medieval Mongolia. I was a bit surprised when one truly fantastical element emerged in the story since it felt so centered in earth world.

And although the ending is somewhat predictable, the pathway there isn't, driving the plot all the way to the last page.


No comments: