Thursday, September 10, 2009

State Fair


Last week, AJ took the day off work and we went to the amazing Minnesota state fair. It was a perfect day--high of 75, a breeze, plus some cloud cover for part of the time. We didn't have much of a plan, save for "eat good food", plus a few rides on the kiddie midway, and we had a wonderful time wandering around, stopping in to whatever caught our fancy. The days leading up to this had been terrible. Terrible, I tell you. Some of my worst mothering moments ever. So, I was very grateful to have a very different kind of day, with AJ, to move me away from what had been happening.

Highlights include:

A Pirate Ride

Learning about agriculture, from seed to market

Cotton candy


Sweet Martha's cookies--divine!!

Celebrity sighting: Our newly minted senator


6 comments:

BertvU said...

oh how I miss the state fair. I am super jealous.

Good job spotting the senator. Reminds me of the first time I heard his stump oh so long ago.

Did you win any hare chairs this time around?

Have any pronto pups?

Belle said...

Yes on the pronto pups. But, we didn't make it to the lumber sports at all this year.

Next year, you should come out during the state fair for vacation.

Mad Hadder said...

Hope you bypassed that "freak" show. I so hate those. Did you step into SpamWorld there? The last time we went they only had a SpamMobile--now it's full-fledged building! The knitting was over the top awesome this year!! Fried curds? MPR? Butter sculptures? That HUGE hog???????? Those enormous horses???? They're from Idaho!

Jen said...

Wow...Senator Al looks like a regular Joe! Looks like fun...I've been avoiding fairs with the boys, but maybe we are ready to try one!

Brooke said...

I wanted to go to the Utah State Fair today, but couldn't convince Brian that it would be a good idea. (He thought that Jeffrey would wander off and get lost, which I guess is a reasonable worry.) I love the giant pumpkin!

Belle said...

Mad Hadder--how did we miss SpamWorld?? I had no idea it was there. We did see cool chickens, but no horses. And we got to see the butter carvings of the butter queens. And yes on the fried curds. We also stumbled onto some Mexican dancers. It was perfect.

Jen--one of the nice things about this fair is that they have amazing fairgrounds, all with paved roads, so that there isn't a lot of dust kicked up. It makes such a difference. I'm not a big fair person, but this one is great.