Monday, September 28, 2009

Good TV

We are swamped with too many great tv options right now. Meaning we really need to decide which nights we will not turn the tube on or we would be watching all the time.

On dvd:


Battlestar Galactica. After hearing an expert in religion and the media discussing BSG in the same breath as one of our all time favorites, we started checking out disks from the library. I was a little leery because I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but it's great. We just started season 2.






Mad Men. Recommended by my sis. We've only watched a few episodes, but wow, did they really smoke that much?? A plus--West Wing's Elizabeth Moss stars.




Arrested Development
. Old news for most people, but when AJ was in the hospital this summer, our friends brought over the first two seasons. He watched four hours straight and it's good for a lot of laughs.

Speaking of laughs, we are still watching season 2 of 30 Rock, also highly recommended by my sis. She's nice enough to let us borrow her copy, after it took us 4 months to watch season 1 and get it back to her.





On TV:

Glee. This one is all AJ. He loves it. And I am liking it more and more. We had to watch this segment a few times the night it aired, and then AJ showed it to his team at work. My favorite takes me back to my adolescence.





Dance, our family favorite, is back on for a fall season.

Not to mention Ken Burns and the national parks.

9 comments:

Ed said...

I was just thinking that this week, finally, we have a case of so much good TV and so little time. We're on the "Glee" bandwagon as well. It's quirky and enjoyable, but it's the music performances that we love so much.

I was on "Mad Men" from the start, but I finally got Jen hooked between seasons two and three. It's endlessly fascinating, not just for the writing but also for all the period details. As you get further into the series, let us know what you think.

Ed said...

Oh, forgot to mention, "The Good Wife" on CBS has been good through two episodes. Julianne Margulies is fabulous, plus Josh Charles ("Sports Night"!) is in it.

andalucy said...

That Glee segment was hilarious, but how family-friendly is it? If my kids had been watching that with me they would have been like, "What did he say about his mother? Why did he say that?"

Belle said...

Ed--Who was Josh Charles from Sports Night?

Lucy--I haven't really thought about what tv to watch with kids since we hardly ever do it ours. They aren't old enough for us to worry about that yet. Glee has an undercurrent of teenage sexuality issues. There is a gay character who has just come out to his dad. There is the jock who sleeps around a lot. There is the chastity club. And so on. I don't know when I'd let my kids watch something like this. Not until they were in high school at least.

Belle said...

Ed--I just looked up Josh Charles. And he played Dan Rydell! I feel stupid. I also know him as Knox Overstreet from Dead Poets Society.

Ed said...

Yeah, that's right! He was in "Dead Poet's Society," wasn't he? Anyway, he's pretty good on "The Good Wife." This show has some potential.

I agree with you about TV and kids. For us, watching TV is something we do after the kids go to bed, so it's not really a huge issue yet. Plus, we only have one TV in the house, so it's not like they're off watching stuff unsupervised.

Mad Hadder said...

Oh, so yes on Glee! And Arrested Development! What were they thinking to cancel that one after even all the awards it got??!! My first season set of that is missing and I have not slept since I realized that. I heard they were making a movie of it. We got rid of TV last January when everything "went down", but we're toying with the idea of cranking it back up and have talked to little else since. Winter just looked too long and too dark to get through without some sensory stimulation.

Malsy (THE Moe of DMOE) said...

The link to AJs favorite is no longer working- which one was it? Out children certainly don't watch, but i showed Delaney the Halo/Walking on Sunshine mashup and she is now ADDICTED to Katrina and the Waves version, and sings it at the top of her lungs while dancing furiously! Don't know WHERE she gets it from!

We are TV addicts, but one we kinda like is Dollhouse- alot of BSG alums on there (D is a HUGE BSG fan, and I enjoyed it as well.)

Belle said...

Malsy--it was the Put a Ring On It Beyonce number with the football players.

We watched Dollhouse last season and I was diappointed in the way it ended. AJ has watched a few episodes this season, but I probably won't watch more of it.