Monday, July 20, 2009

Secret Women's Day




For a while now, all the organists have gotten to choose the congregational hymns. Since there was no topic given for yesterday's meeting, and since Pioneer Day is coming up, I decided to pay homage to two women who were influential in the early days of the church and influential in shaping the music that we sing. We sang three of Eliza R. Snow's poems set to song--Though Deepening Trials, Again We Meet Around the Board, and Awake! And Arise! (I love that one). We recently sang O My Father and her other two more familiar sacrament hymns, but it was fun to dig these ones up. I decided to bypass her In Our Lovely Deseret and The Time is Far Spent to include one hymn that Emma Hale Smith selected for the first compilation of hymns--God is Love.

I'm sure that no one in the congregation noticed any connection between the songs, but I did make my primary class figure out what I had done.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Cool! I sang all three and had no idea. Nice work Bellezza.

Markie said...

This makes me smile!

Maryanne said...

I love Awake and Arise! We used to sing it a lot in seminary-- it seemed so appropriate. And I love Though Deepening Trials too. I'll have to check out the sacrament hymn, I'm not so familiar with it.

That was cool of you to do!