Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Un Milagro

I am sitting in a house that is (almost) perfectly clean. My shower is sparkling. The microwave has no crusty food residue spattered on its ceiling. My garbage cans are washed out. The massive package of toilet paper has been unloaded and stacked neatly next to the towels in my linen closet. The windows are clean--no smeary fingerprints blotting out the sun.

Yes, a miracle has occurred. My house has never, ever, ever been this clean. Not at the same time. A room is cleaned up here and there, but by the time I make it to the next section of the house, the previously tidied room is no longer pristine. It's just the nature of kids and living in a house.

After my melt down a few weeks ago, a friend gave me the number of the women who have been helping her in her home for years. And not just that--she gave them my number and they called me. After the emotion and anger of the day faded, my resolve to hire someone dissipated as well. Shouldn't we be working together as a family to take care of our home? Shouldn't I be teaching my children the satisfaction of a job well done? And what about the money that I would spend to pay someone else to clean my home? Guilt, guilt, and guilt.

Well, they stopped by last week so I could meet them and they could take a look around. And when they said they could come by one time each month, I breathed a happy sigh. Perfect. Yes, perfect. I wasn't outsourcing all or even most of the cleaning to someone else. We would still be responsible for most of it.

But, to know that someone would do those chores that get postponed to infinity--for me, they are things like scrubbing the dried on food from the booster seat. Moving the furniture to vacuum underneath. Dusting the picture frames. Wiping off the fridge. Wow. That's just emotional money in the bank for me.

So, the ladies came by yesterday. They worked for several hours. My home looks amazing. We were out with friends last night, so the kitchen didn't get messy with dinner. We got home late and the kids went straight to bed, so no new messes. I told AJ how much I would love for him to remove the children from our house for one entire day so that I could stay home by myself basking in its order.

I know that it won't last, but, boy does it feel good right now.

I think I'll go clean our lunch mess off the counter. I want to draw out the pleasure a little longer.

5 comments:

andalucy said...

Now aren't you glad I gave them your number instead of leaving it to you to call them? :-) I only have them come once per month too. That day at least I get to leave it people who really know what they're doing. I never seem to get as serious about cleaning as I should.

I'm glad it went well.

Markie said...

You are my new hero. I keep thinking about doing that, I just can't figure out how to make it work in reality. But now I have a goal - new house, new housecleaning strategies.

Becca said...

Oh, I am so happy for you. I only have Jason contributing to the filthiness of our house and I can still remember the first day I came into the house after Hermana Y. had cleaned while I was at work. Tears actually came to my eyes...just the realization that all of that pressure to clean wasn't on me anymore. I just couldn't take it anymore--working 60+ hours a week and then coming home to a filthy house on top of it?

The same joyous feeling came back every single week when I would walk in the front door. Best money I ever spent. Jason still doesn't get it...but it significantly contributed to my sanity in that last year we lived in NYC.

Belle said...

Yes, Lucy, I am happy that you gave them my number! Next time, I am going to try to plan it so that I can sit in my clean house and eat sushi and read a book in total silence. Hmm. I'll have to work on that one.

Markie, I laughed at the hero bit. I am a hero because we couldn't clean our house on our own and so I finally broke down and hired someone? What I really want to do is find a job that will offset the costs of the cleaning and child care I would require. Oh, and what about all the cost savings from therapy foregone?

Maria--How did you persuade Jason when you were in NYC? Can you do it again? And this might be a sensitive topic--but is he contributing enough to the house care to have a veto vote about hiring someone?

Brooke said...

You go, girl! Wish I had the cash to finagle such a scheme for myself.