Sunday, August 31, 2008

Back from Hiatus

Between being on vacation, the Olympics, and the DNC convention last week, my time has been sucked away. We are happy to be home, excited for the start of school on Tuesday for MJ and next week for T's preschool, and are generally doing well.


While I did not maintain the same level of Olympics obsession as my family, I did watch most of NBC's primetime coverage and I did manage to exhaust myself in the process, staying up far too late many nights. While there were many great moments, I especially loved the successes of Dara Torres, the 41 year old silver medal swimmer, in the 100-meter sprint freestyle, and Oksana Chusovitina, the 33 year old Russian woman who competed for Germany's gymnastics team after moving there for medical treatment for her cancer stricken son. She won a silver medal in the vault. Both, truly amazing.


In one of her post-swim interviews, Torres said, "You're never too old to live your dreams." Maybe a little cheesy, but in the mind set where I'm at right now, trying to define myself to some extent and lay out some plans for the next few years, it resonated. I got to cycle a bit on my brother-in-law's road bike. I'm still dreaming those plans for biker spandex.

No comments: