Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Used to be a Daredevil

Tonight, when I was out biking around a lake near my house, with the wind whistling across my face, I was daydreaming about becoming a cyclist. You know--the kind that ride a road bike in spandex and pedal 50 miles or more on a Saturday morning. I've been riding my hybrid bike around leisurely this summer, but would like to go tougher--more confidently, quickly, and aggressively. (I've also been obsessed about converting my bike to electric and then biking around town to do all my errands.)

The kids and I watched the end of the biking portion of a sprint triathlon--AJ competed in his first ever!--and those bikers were coming in so fast. I have my doubts about whether I really could ever develop cycling into a real pursuit. I feel a little nervous about crashes at such high speeds and hills are so intimidating for me.

I was remembering, though, how I used to pedal up to the top of a very steep hill on my orange banana seat bike in my neighborhood in Boise and then just cruise all the way to the bottom, full speed ahead. And I thought back to those Friday nights when my and my mom, dad, and sister would go up to Bogus Basin and ski. I loved the Sunshine trail where I could just ski straight down. N and I would race, and I always won. At least, that's what I remember. I would take every jump and didn't mind the crashes.

Not that I was always jumping off the roof and crashing through the woods. I did a lot of reading and was always pretty nerdy. But, I did do some risky things.

And then I was wondering when I started becoming more cautious. We moved the summer before I started 6th grade. It was such an awkward and self-consious time for me. I felt so uncomfortable in my skin and didn't want to stand out at all. I wanted to wear Rocky Mountain Jeans (not Smacks) and not go to gifted classes. I desparately wanted to wear a bra--like every other girl. Instead, I never took off my powder jacket. There weren't a lot of Mormons and that felt weird. But the time I made it through 9th grade, I finally started settling in and feeling better about myself. But, by that time, I didn't really do any risky things anymore. That was probably the start of it. And I never really did much aggressively on my own to embrace anything risky. Does this follow the Reviving Ophelia thesis?

Anyway, maybe it's time to reclaim some of that.



PS--Thinking about powder jackets really put me on memore lane. I wonder if my parents have any pictures of me in mine. I couldn't find any good online photos of them, except here's a pattern for one. My mom made mine. It was just like the men's shown here, with gray in the middle and maroon on the sleeves with black cuffs and zipper.

No comments: