Wednesday, February 09, 2011

February in Minnesota














It was -27 with the wind chill on the way to work, according to the radio.

A few months ago, I discovered a new to me band--Storyhill. I heard them on Prairie Home Companion. The band consists of two men, who started performing together in high school in Bozeman, Montana, and then later moved to Minnesota where they continued performing. They have a Simon and Garfunkel kind of sound, a folksy sound, with amazing harmonies.

One of their songs begins, "This year the winter will not break me."

That's been my mantra during this latest cold front. I have been doing pretty well. January seems like it should be a deep freeze, plus I was really busy with work. By February, though, I start to tire of the down coat and heavy scarf and gloves, the messy mudroom with dirty snow melting on the floor. I want a little more warmth. We are supposed to get up in the 30's over the next few days, and I mentioned it to AJ. I suggested that it might be the "end of winter", or at least the end of the bitter cold. He told me that it would probably get cold again and I got really mad at him. I need to maintain my perhaps delusional thought that the worst of winter is over.

I have no desire to stay here forever and I hope we can find a way to move in the next few years.

2 comments:

Jen said...

By February I look at my winter clothes the way I looked at my maternity clothes by the end of my pregnancies....I just want to put them in a pile, light a match and never see them again. Not that we have anything to complain about in DC comparatively....

Belle said...

Jen, DC has had its fair share of winter too! And yes, that's exactly what it feels like. "I can't bear to wear these things one more day!"

The first year we were here, we had a warm streak and I put all the kid coats and boots and winter gear in a box in the basement. I was so depressed and angry when I had to pull them out again.