Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dancing

On Sunday, MJ performed in both her winter recital and a Nutcracker show. She was really excited to learn two Nutcracker dances, and I let her go ahead with them, despite misgivings about her ability to learn and perform three separate dances. Well, she has been a trooper about practicing at home, rehearsing those dances over and over. She hasn't complained about it and has really stepped up to the challenge. It's been great to see her do this with such enthusiasm.

Watching the older girls at the recital, I wonder how long MJ will continue with dance. She has the interest and focus, and she can memorize her steps, but she doesn't have an abundance of grace and natural ability.

Seeing M dance recently, I thought about my brief history in any kind of organized sports. When we lived in Boise, my sister and I participated in gymnastics for several years. I was probably 7 to 10 years old. We went to meets and got ribbons. I still remember my beam and parallel bars routines. I also remember one of the coaches telling my mom that I had the concentration to be a gymnast and my sister had the body and talent to be a gymnast, and if she could just shake us up in a bag, we would be the perfect combination.

2 comments:

Margo said...

Wow, I can't believe Maren is old enough to do such wonderful things. I just started reading Eat, Pray, Love and thought of you. How is your Italian?

Belle said...

Margo, My Italian is non-existant. I try to modify my Spanish, but it never works!