Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Ahh, September!


I love September. I think that the new year should begin with September, not January. No one wants to make a fresh start, right off the heels of Christmas, in the depths of winter. But, September. Quite another matter. The weather is changing--no more dog days of summer where hardly a fly can stir. Winter still seems to be a safe ways off. And school is starting back up. There are school supplies and backpacks to organize, new clothes to lay out, and a whole new schedule with new teachers and classes. Change is in the air in September.


Yesterday, I told MJ, who started 1st grade today, that the first day of school was always my favorite day of the year. I could never sleep the night before school started, because I was so excited. I loved it more than Halloween, certainly, and even more than Christmas. She merrily marched off to school today, happy as could be, without a look back. I've been wondering all day how she's doing, how she likes her new teacher and class, and how the hot lunch was (first time ever).


This morning, after she left on the bus, T seemed a little down. He didn't want to leave the corner where the bus stopped. And he dragged his feet all the way home, with head hung and shoulders slumped. Happily, friends stopped by and we spent a gorgeous morning at the park. Such a beautiful day. Then it was on to lunch, and some stories and puzzles. Now, it's quiet time. I pulled out my dusty vita for an update and then decided that before I leave for Italy in a month I will submit two chapters of my dissertation for publication review. Wow--I haven't had the energy or motivation to do anything for a while. But, it's September! And I'm feeling good.



No comments: