Sunday, July 01, 2007

Friday

Friday: All of the F kids plus W’s friend and C go white water rafting. Thinking of both the cold water and my propensity for motion sickness, I decide not to go and stay with the kids and with AJ’s parents. I play Sorry and Memory with the kids and then take them into town to play for a while. We walk past the river and find a mini-playground. We are able to kill the morning this way and then head home for lunch. T goes down for a nap and the rafters get home mid-afternoon. For dinner, W and E do classic summer grilling—hamburgers, hotdogs, and add to that corn on the cob, watermelon, and root beer and I’m in heaven. We eat outside. AJ gets addicted to spider solitaire, and I soon follow suit. C builds a fire outside in the metal fire grate, and we roast marshmallows, make s’mores, and tell stories. The kids go to bed. We play a few rounds of Dalmuti to decide the order of special prizes. There are some yummy European chocolates, soap from Italy, and a few gags. I get a new copy of Dick and Jane, perfect for MJ to read. Too bad it is sexist and racist. AJ gets a CIA mug, his top choice.

No comments: