Friday, February 16, 2007

Peacemaker in 2-year old Skin

Earlier this week, right after MJ had gotten up, she was camped out on the stairs, near a bunch of her stuff she had left out. I was still in my pjs, and was coming downstairs. I slipped on her toys and when my legs came out from under me, I bounced down the stairs on my rear. In my shock and pain, I was angry with her, and I forcefully took her over to the couch and sat her down hard, asking her why she had left her toys on the stairs. I then went back to the stairs and hurled the toys, one after another, into the family room, shouting that if we couldn't pick up toys, I was going to throw them out. I am not happy with how I reacted, but this is what happened. Then I went back over to the couch and sat down to tell her that she needed to pick up her stuff, that we could get seriously hurt by falling down the stairs, etc. T was standing nearby, watching the whole scene. He kept looking at MJ, a bit upset by her distress. Then he said to me, "She didn't mean to. Sometimes it happens that we get hurt." Just like that. I was totally floored. I couldn't believe those words were coming out of his mouth, but of course, he was right. And it broke the tension and I gave them both a hug.

I'm not sure if he has heard us use phrases like this, or where he got it. This was the first time I had heard him say this. And although his words were quite effective on this occasion, I didn't buy it this morning, when, after unrolling toilet paper in the bathroom and through the hall, he said, "I didn't mean to. It sometimes happens that I unroll toilet paper." That was the second time he tried to use those same words when he had made a mess of something. He must have seen how those words impacted me with MJ and decided to try them again to see if they could get him out of trouble.

No comments: