Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Harry Potter, the First Time Through

There are a new set of covers for the Harry Potter books. Have you seen them? They are lovely. Harry and Hagrid are strolling through Diagon Alley on the cover of book 1. We saw the whole series when Zane and I were in Barnes and Noble last week, picking up his free book that he earned from completing their summer reading challenge (don't get me started on Lego Ninjago books. I absolutely refuse to read those out loud.) Zane had recently started reading book 1, and asked if we could get book 1 with the new cover. I happily gave in.

This morning, Andy stopped by my desk (we now work for the same company) and handed me Zane's copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Zane took it with him in the car when Andy dropped them off this morning, but he didn't want to wait until Andy got home tonight to get it back--about two hours after I pick them up. He's already on page 262, and though I wonder how deep his understanding is, I'm happy to see him embrace the wonder of Harry Potter.

Last night, at Family Home Evening, we were talking about Harry Potter. Maren and Toby has to work very hard to restrain themselves from telling Zane what was coming next, and gave several hints about future events. Earlier, I had a conversation with Zane about how as a baby, Harry had miraculously survived Voldemort's attack on his family, as well as a discussion of the power of the sorcerer's stone. At FHE, he asked if the reason why Harry was "the boy who lived" was because he had possession of the sorcerer's stone. What a good theory, right? He also asked if Snape was good or bad. To which we all chuckled--the enduring mystery of Snape's motives carries to the very end of book 7.

I love my little bookworm.  He also commented this week that he prefers "realer" books when offered the opportunity to read an ebook.  My thought exactly!

No comments: