Friday, March 20, 2009

This weekend

I'm on the verge of going away. I'm leaving my family to go to a nice hotel. I am going to a play, a museum, a bookstore, and to some nice dining establishments. I am bringing lots of reading material (that I just got in the mail today!!! Thank you efficient BYU Bookstore. It made me happy that whoever filled my order put it in a BYU Bookstore bag). I have a map. And I'm bringing my laptop so that I can write about all the things I've been thinking about and reading about. Where is this location? Downtown. I'm going downtown, 20 miles away. But, I am going all by myself to do whatever I want to do for 24+ hours. I am so excited! The forecast for tomorrow is 56 and sunny, so I can walk everywhere I want to go. Could it be more perfect? Remember, it's only mid-March in Minnesota, and that means spring is usually still a good 6 weeks away. Amazingly, it will be the first time since baby Z was born that I will be away from him. And I love my AJ for pushing me to do this.

6 comments:

Markie said...

That is the coolest thing ever!

Jen said...

What a fun idea! A mini-vacation in your own town. There are tons of things I'd love to do in DC alone, that I never quite get to do.

Brooke said...

That AJ is worth his weight in GOLD. Or perhaps gold chocolate coins. Wow, what a treat.

Maryanne said...

I hope it was wonderful. I've been thinking about this for a while but haven't gotten it together yet.

Belle said...

It turned out to be a great weekend. As a variation, I was thinking a great kid birthday would be for one of us to take one of the kids to a hotel and activities all by themself. We get so stuck in the suburbs and I experience intermittent self-loathing over it.

Yes, AJ is quite a gem. I am waiting for him to make good on his promise to make MJ's baptism dress for October.

Maryanne, any chance you are going to the Midwest Retreat? I am coming with my good immigration lawyer friend from NYC who knows your dad. That would be a great weekend away.

Maryanne said...

That weekend is Eli's 1st birthday, so while I've thought about it, I just can't bring myself to commit.