Friday, February 20, 2009

My Life With the Saints

I've only just started this, but am captivated. In this book, a Jesuit priest writes about how various saints have influenced his life in varied circumstances.

A couple of things I have really liked so far:

This is from his introduction--

Gradually, I found myself growing fonder of these saints and developing a tenderness toward them. I began to see them as models of holiness relevant to contemporary believers, and to understand the remarkable ways that God works in the life of individuals. Each saint was holy in his or her unique way, revealing how God celebrates individuality.


And he quotes Walt Whitman:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself.
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)


4 comments:

Jen said...

I just heard him on NPR on the way home from church today talking about celibacy. It was a really interesting interview. The title of the book caught my attention because I initially mixed it up with "Leaving the Saints" and I couldn't figure out what his connection to that book would be. Oops...big difference.

Belle said...

Thanks for the tip Jen. I'll have to go back and listen to that. Was it a story about how men and women sin in different ways?

Jen said...

No, he was talking about why he chose to live a celibate life...why the choice isn't for everyone....and the direction the Catholic Church is heading on the issue (very very slowly.... probably generations away from changing the rules to allow priests to marry, in his opinion). I wasn't overly interested in the topic, but he was really good on the radio. I think it might have been the show 'On Faith'...or something like that, I'm not very familiar with the Sunday shows on NPR.

Jen said...

p.s. my NPR habits are dangerous...I listen to bits and pieces of interviews all day and then declare myself an expert on said topic.