Thursday, November 22, 2007

Stephenie Meyer, Take Three


I read the third vampire book this week. One thing I was puzzling over were Meyer's titles. To me, they aren't very evocative of the actual content. New Moon, Twilight, and Eclipse? I don't think that I can keep them straight. And the covers of her books are equally indistinguishable to me (but are definitely Bella-Edward branded). Why put a rose on one and a tattered ribbon on another? I'm sure there are good reasons for both the titles and the covers, but I don't know what they are.

Hmm. I liked this book ok. I think it was better than her second, but still doesn't match up to the first. I find Bella to be an annoying mix of "I'm strong and independent" and "Protect me, I'm fragile." I don't really find Edward to be a compelling romantic hero (but I don't see that in Jacob either.) I find her characters to be a little flat. The plot focus on the romantic triangle gets to be a little tiresome, the whole amazingly fast disappearance of the Volturi clan was puzzling, and the whole newborn vampire thread also disappeared amazingly quickly.

I like this review.

2 comments:

andalucy said...

I liked that review too. She is so right about the retrogressive gender stuff, the dumb love triangle, and the peek-a-boo plot lines. However, she seems to have liked New Moon better than Eclipse and I have to depart from her there.

Anyway, I'm reading a wonderful YA fantasy right now. Blackbringer by Laini Taylor. I SO recommend it.

Belle said...

Thanks for the tip on another book to add to my list!