Sunday, November 12, 2006

Princess Academy

After I met Shannon Hale, and having missed book group in August where Princess Academy was discussed, I decided to check it out from the library and read it. Shannon described this as a transition book, meaning that it would have an appeal to girls who like princess stuff, but would be a bit more sophisticated and challenging than other princess materials. This made me rethink my original view of the book. I pooh poohed it a bit because of the title--disney princess and princesses in general have become too much in our house, although I think that MJ is growing out of it a bit. I hope!

I really liked this one. She has such a beautiful way of writing and I found myself thinking about how much Maren will like it (and how much I will like her to read it) when she's older. I think I liked this one better than the other two of hers that I have read.

Each of the three I have read of hers have a strong female character in common. And an element of mystical powers of being able to communicate with nature. Here, Miri is able to channel the powers of linder, a precious stone that her village quarries, in order to communicate with others in her village who have grown up with linder. She is a physically weak girl, and feels despair that she doesn't fit in to her village--her father forbids her from working in the quarry. She has a chance to expand her mind and locate some of her talents when a princess academy is created in order to teach the future princess the skills she needs. Miri returns to the village with a thirst for books and learning and wants to spend her time teaching others.

Good book. Speaks to human desire to find a place to fit in.

No comments: