Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mother's Day is Father's Day

Mother's Day was, as usual, the second Sunday of May. Because of MJ's dance recital that weekend, we decided to have baby Z's blessing the same time so that AJ's parents could attend both. With the baby blessing, AJ's parents in town, and a weird sacrament meeting I didn't really dwell on the issues that usually arise on Mother's Day.

(For some reason, the ward powers that be have decided this year and last that having the young men speak would be a good way to commemorate Mother's Day. Weird. Very weird. I pushed hard to try to get AJ, who works with the young men, to get them to reschedule for another Sunday. One kid talked about how his mom has forced him to go to church and how much he doesn't like it. Another kid ended with talk with "Mothers are good. I have one." Yuck. But, of course, there were no "angel mother" talks or "mother on a pedestal" talks that I detest.)

I was feeling a little bad that AJ's parents were the only ones from our families to come to the blessing. My niece was baptized in April, and it seemed like half of my family were there. My parents went over from MT, and all my sisters that lived nearby were there with their families. They had a big family meal afterwards. Just a stark contrast to our lonely little group. And my aunt and uncle and cousins from nearby couldn't come and others we thought might come couldn't come. It felt a little lonely.

So, I was extra grateful that AJ's parents came (all the way from Italy, and a mere 3 weeks before they were to return home to Denver for good). AJ's mom got baby Z the most adorable blessing outfit from Italy. It was knit knickers, with a little round collar and a design across the chest. The sweater that went with it was double breasted. And then there was a pair of knitted booties with a little light blue design in them. He looked soo cute. The first time we tried it on him (before his hair was cut), I got choked up.

The blessing went fine. I felt strangely detached from the whole experience. I gave baby Z to AJ, and they went up to the front of the chapel where he disappeared from my view behind the curtain of suits. And the blessing. This is a blessing for his whole life, and there wasn't really anything I could do to be a part of it. AJ and I had talked some beforehand, but there wasn't much in the blessing that really connected with me. It was fine. You know. Perfectly fine. I am grateful that it happened, grateful that AJ could bless him and that his dad could participate and that "uncle B" was there. And AJ had a really great experience with him in the blessing. I am grateful for his chance to connect more with baby Z. But, it didn't draw my heart out to my child like I thought it might.



Some things from his blessing:

  • Born into a precious covenant, take advantage of these blessings
  • Blessed with faith in the gospel
  • Grow up to serve a mission, marry in the temple
  • Much thought and even prayer has been given to your name. Honor your name by working hard.
  • Seek balance between the spiritual and the intellectual
  • Special bond with your mother and the rest of your family
  • Will be a strength and comfort to your mother


4 comments:

Andy said...

Great post. Thanks for documenting (and processing) the experience. I love you!

andalucy said...

I love that second photo!!

andalucy said...

What would be your ideal Mother's Day sacrament meeting?

Belle said...

The honest truth is that I would probably find something to complain about, no matter what. I did really like the Lindor Truffles this year. I'll never complain about chocolate.