Friday, November 21, 2008

Even More Election Thoughts


I still haven't taken down my Obama yard signs. I should. It's been really cold, and I say that's the reason. But, if I still want to bask a little longer, why shouldn't I? Soon enough will be Thanksgiving, then it's full speed ahead to Christmas.

The November 17 edition of the New Yorker is full of election round up. Four articles packed full of interesting summaries and analysis of this year's presidential election. One about how Obama won the election. One about McCain and his personal transformation to this year's candidate. So interesting. I loved this quote:

During the spring of the 2004 race, McCain campaigned tirelessly--"worked his tail off," in the words of Bush's press secretary--for the President. The following year, he assured conservatives that he would support Bush's tax cuts. More shocking, in the spring of 2006, he announced that he planned to give the commencement speech at Liberty University, which was run by Jerry Falwell--one of the so-called "agents of intolerance" and "forces of evil." Several week before the address, McCain appeared on "The Daily Show." Jon Stewart, who has said that he would have voted for McCain in 2000 had he won the Republican nomination, expressed consternation that McCain was paying tribute to the religious right. "It strikes me as something you wouldn't normally do," Stewart said. When McCain insisted that he would speak at any university, Stewart asked, "Are you going into crazy base world?" McCain hesistated, then said, "I'm afraid so."

There was an article--The Joshua Generation--about Obama and race and the way he navigated racial issues throughout his campaign. (I love that phrase Joshua Generation. Maybe it's been around for a while, but it's only been recently that I've noticed it.) The final big article is about how the intersection of the economic crisis and the future of the Democratic party. Good stuff.

Here's a quote from Hendrik Hertzberg in The Talk of the Town that I liked.

Barack Hussein Obama: last week, sixty-five million Americans turned a liability--a moniker so politically inflammatory that the full recitation of it was considered foul play--into a global diplomatic asset, a symbol of the resurgence of America's ability to astonish and inspire.

There's a great analysis of Obama's victory speech. Which reminds me. I forgot to mention earlier how moving it was to hear the call and response of "Yes we can" between Obama and the crowd in Grant Park during his victory speech.

And finally, a great cartoon: "He's suffering from excessive-poll-monitoring withdrawal."

9 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for the great links! I liked 'The New Liberalism' and 'The Joshua Generation' the best. I listened to an NPR interview the other day with an author who wrote a new bio on FDR entitled "A Traitor to His Class." I don't usually love presidential bios but it looked really good.

andalucy said...

I am always surprised at how much you love Obama's speeches. I remember when you said you didn't like the book Fire in the Bones because you didn't care for "rhetoric."

Belle said...

Jen, did you read all of that stuff online? That's a heck of a lot to read on a glaring computer screen. But, I'm glad you liked them.

Calandria, I am having a hard time recalling my reaction to Fire in the Bones and the rhetoric comment. Do you remember any more than that?

Jen said...

Yeah, my eyes were a little dry and sore, but it was worth it!

Jen said...

Just saw Kristy Glass over Charlie Young's shoulder as the tension built... yep, they just aired the "Two Cathedrals" episode on Bravo. "West Wing" at its finest!!

Belle said...

Ooh, season 2. I agree--the best season of West Wing. I loved that season finale. Bartlett in the National Cathedral yelling at God, calling him a feckless thug. So powerful.

Jen said...

Yeah, I remember watching it when it originally aired in May 2001 and having goose bumps as he went on his rant. Quite possibly my single favorite moment of the show.

Lots of GREAT stuff in season two: the two-hour season premiere with all the flashbacks; the Thanksgiving episode where the Chinese people are seeking religious asylum; the "Noel" episode with Josh and the shrink (and a little Yo-Yo Ma); the Ainsley Hayes subplot (with an inspired guest appearance by John Larroquette as White House counsel)... it's all fantastic!

Belle said...

We have a yearly tradition of watching that season 2 Thanksgiving episode with the turkey pardoning and CJ leading the children in song as the subplot to the Chinese asylum-seekers. Love it.

And "I'm not the paper boy either, Josh" from the intro to Noel. It's one of our favorite lines. And John Larroquete with his cricket bat! So many great moments from season 2.

I was just at Costco and they had most if not all of the dvds of West Wing for $17 or so. To support fellow West Wingers, I'd be willing to pick up any that you want and put it in the mail for you.

BertvU said...

I've been loaning my seasons out to my bosses at work, and one of them is on season 4, and I told him to find my favorite line (also Andy's favorite line) from the debate episode. He had no trouble guessing what it was.

First of all, let's get one thing straight. . .

I've been watching seasons 6/7 and been looking at comparisons with real life. The latest, Santos picks his biggest rival during the campaign to be his secretary of state. I think it's fair to say that Clinton was a much bigger rival to Obama than McCain. . . .