Thursday, November 06, 2008

Election Night 2008

Today, the UPS man drove up to deliver my Barack Obama bumper stickers that I ordered back in early September. And, while I ordered an interesting oval emblazoned with "Yes We Can", I got a plain old Obama '08. Oh well. They probably waited until after the election to send out everyone's backordered gear hoping that we would be so overjoyed with the election results we wouldn't feel angry about out seriously late and replaced orders.

We wanted to go to friends to watch election returns. But, alas, babysitters for late evenings on school nights are impossible to locate. So, we resorted to staying at home, with our own election night events. We hustled the kids into bed and got out our own dinner. We decided to go with liberal, elite food, although perhaps good old fashioned chili and apple pie would be more in the spirit of Obama's campaign. Instead, though, we opted for steak sandwiches on pesto bread with arugula and goat cheese, goat cheese stuffed mushrooms, and chocolate souffle.

The first thrill of the night was hearing Pennsylvania called for Obama. Ohio followed shortly afterwards, and all of a sudden, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Obama had it in the bag. It was exciting to watch the electoral and see red states change to blue states. Virginia! Exciting. Florida? Fabulous. And what??? Indiana??? For Obama? Wow! I filled out my election bracket and even I, who wanted to generate a landscape shifting, full sweep for Obama, didn't pick Indiana to go for him. So far, though, it was the only state I mis-predicted.. And if Missouri goes for McCain then I have 50/51. Yippee!

Just after 10 pm our time, when the west coast polls closed and the networks began calling the election for Obama, there was a knock on our door. Our neighbor D came over to bask in an Obama victory. A couple of minutes later, there was another knock, and the whole J family was on the doorstep with champagne and goblets. D brought us some Sierra Mist, and we went out and toasted to 4 years with Obama. It was an unseasonably warm day, so we stood outside talking for quite a while .

Then, back inside to hear the concession and victory speeches. I was moved to tears by McCain. He was gracious and kind, and maybe I'm being naive, but he made me believe that he would work with President Obama on all these huge issues America faces. I wondered if he regretted the nasty turns his campaign took at the end. From his speech:

In a contest as long and difficult as this campaign has been, his success alone commands my respect for his ability and perseverance. But that he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans who had once wrongly believed that they had little at stake or little influence in the election of an American president is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving.

This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight.

. . .

I urge all Americans — I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together, to find the necessary compromises, to bridge our differences, and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.


And then, to listen to President-Elect Obama. It was inspiring to see the throngs of people who had gathered in Grant Park and in downtown Chicago to celebrate. I loved looking at all the different faces--old and young, black, brown, and white, and from across the entire economic spectrum. Looking at them, I saw the broad swath of Americans who have supported him and I felt hope that the polarization that has divided our country might lessen. Again, probably naive, but the line from Lincoln that Obama quoted is what I want to hang my hat on:

“We are not enemies, but friends — though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection.”

I loved his invocation of Ann Nixon Cooper, the 106 year old voter, and the way he was able to use her lifetime to talk about the progress we have made as Americans.

As he spoke, my heart was in my throat and I couldn't hold back the tears. This is such a milestone for our country. "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible,... tonight is your answer." I was moved seeing Jesse Jackson's tear stained face.

3 comments:

andalucy said...

You and your elitist arugula! (Hey, was that locally grown? I think you'd better watch your carbon imprint.)

Belle said...

Locally grown greens in Minnesota in November? Oh, how I wish. No, it was shipped in from the salad bowl of California.

Jen said...

I was helping with election coverage at one of our spinoff Web sites www.loudounextra.com, and all of our jaws dropped when they called Ohio so quickly. I knew then it was only a matter of time.

I think our concentration, Loudoun County, was a microcosm of how Virginia went from red stronghold to neophyte blue.

Loudoun is mostly old-school Republican, but with the influx of young professionals and growing concerns over higher gas prices (Some people there are commuting 80 miles roundtrip to jobs in D.C.) it was there for the taking.

The fact that Obama, Biden AND Palin showed up at separate rallies there during the fall shows you how important the candidates thought it was.

And in the end, Loudoun County went blue. Granted, by just 7,000 votes, but it was still a credit to the Dems for getting out the vote just enough.

Having lived in blue states my entire life (Ca., Mass., Ore. and N.Y.), it was refreshing to be somewhere where the vote really mattered.