Monday, July 21, 2008

Food Obsessions

When I was a kid in elementary school, my mom often packed me a sack lunch. She said that there was time when I would ask for a PB&J every day, every day, without fail. I'll have to ask her how long that phase lasted. It was probably at least one school year, knowing me. And then, from one day to the next, I didn't want PB&J, and didn't want it again for a very long time.

Very typical. I still see this compulsion in myself--in what I choose to eat, but in other things too. I find something I like and then, avoiding any novel kind of behavior, I satiate myself with it until I can't stand to even look at it.

When we lived in Pittsburgh, I mixed up cottage cheese with oregano and tomato and cheese, put it in a pita, and baked it for 15 minutes. I did this every day. I kept going after tomatoes were out of season, and finally switched to canned tomatoes. And then I got really nauseous even thinking about eating this.

Now, my new favorite food obsession is arugula and goat cheese. I like them together on sandwiches or pizza. I like goat cheese quesadillas. And goat cheese on salads. Maybe I will try to avoid going past the point of no return. But, it's doubtful I will be successful...

No comments: