Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Year of Living Bibically

Oh, I am way behind in my book notes. Things have been busy here, in a good way. But, I want to catch up this week. This was a very fun read. Another one of the Do-Something-For-A-Year-And Write-A-Book-About-It memoirs that seem to be so popular write now. Jacobs decides to try to follow ever rule/commandment in the Bible over the course of one year. These include both the famous 10 Commandments and less well known admonitions: avoid wearing mixed fibers, stoning adultorers, and playing a 10 stringed harp. Matching his inner committment, he grows a beard and dresses in white. The general tone of the book is witty and entertaining, but he does share profound reflections that have come to him during the process. I especially liked his thoughts on prayer: prayers of gratitude (and very specific ones: "thank you for the farmer who grew the chick peas for my hummus) and prayers for other people.

No comments: