Monday, June 02, 2008

Parenting, Inc


by Pamela Paul. This felt like a big jumble of information that has been written about better in other places. Of course selling to parents and kids is huge business. And parents are overbuying. It didn't seem new. She kept repeating herself, a lot of the topical chapters didn't stick that close to topic, and at points, it seemed like she was advocating for specific products which seemed to go against her general thesis, like her raving about the sleep consultant. Is this stuff good or bad? The line was fuzzy for me. And there weren't any really good pieces of practical advice. I guess just being aware of this stuff is helpful? Like I said, it didn't feel new to me. The data factoid that I found stunning: the average American kid gets 70 new toys per year. Ugh. I have felt revulsion against the consuming kids culture quite a bit. I never want to have a "everyone bring a gift, big birthday party" again. Maybe with the third kid, where most everything is a hand me down, and I am longing to purge the toyroom, the idea of consuming more baby goods just feels so unnecessary.

1 comment:

andalucy said...

I know this is so un-green of me, but I consider toys diposable. When the kids aren't playing with them anymore, they're gone. I know this is probably not the best thing to teach my children, but to me the choice seems to either toss it or be overwhelmed by junk. We haven't even had that many birthday parties.