Monday, May 10, 2010

The solace of books

Z-Man has been a little sick. The other day, he completely fell apart and AJ whisked off to his bed for an immediate nap. He was sobbing, disconsolate, in his bed. A few minutes later I went in to try to calm him down. His face was soaked with tears, snot, and a whole lot of sweat thrown in there too. I hugged him and he immediately asked me for his froggy blanket that he had thrown out of his bed in the hot blush of first anger, which had quickly melted into remorse. I asked him if there was anything else he wanted, to which he replied, "I want a book."

My heart melted. Yes, little boy, books can bring you comfort.

I gave him three (though I couldn't find the hippo book he requested) and he snuggled up with them and went to sleep.

1 comment:

Susan Woodring said...

Oh, how dear! Makes me want to give find a book to cuddle up with this second...