Monday, March 23, 2009

More music troubles

I am bugged. Why?

1. Why would a stake conference (not just our stake, but the whole region) be scheduled for Easter Sunday? We would never do anything like that for Christmas Sunday, and isn't Easter just as important a religious holiday as Christmas?

2. The music for stake conference will not be our Easter hymns. The only chance we get to sing them, but we won't be able to. However, on Mother's Day, we will get to sing Love at Home, and the first week in July, we will sing patriotic hymns. I don't understand why we can't sing Christ the Lord is Risen Today--one of the best songs in the entire hymnbook--for stake conference. Instead, we have to sing I Know That My Redeemer Lives, which in my opinion is oversung, at least in our ward.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Stake Conference on Easter is a phenomenon that I'm guessing happened because there were no women present at the conference planning meeting. At least, that's what my mom was guessing when her ward decided to have Fast Sunday on Easter. Aaaaaagh.

Maryanne said...

How frustrating, and disappointing! I try not to have a bad attitude about stake conference in general (and largely fail) but Stake Conf on Easter is awful. Could you attend mass instead?

Belle said...

Unfortunately, I have to play the organ. I think that I will attend an early mass on Easter with a large pipe organ and guaranteed jubilant music. I sent an email to the generic stake person who informed me of the music choice--not sure who he is--to ask if the stake presidency really knew that it was Easter when they chose the music. He kind of rebuffed me, in a nice way, by saying that I Know That My Redeemer Lives is Easter themed and didn't send my email on to any higher powers.

I guess I'll work up a Christ the Lord is Risen Today postlude or something.

Maryanne said...

Michelle-- I just noticed your comment on my blog about paint-- it's scotchbutter, American Signature paint from Lowe's. Are you guys coming to Pgh soon and needing a place to stay? If so, you're welcome to stay with us (we will be gone one week in April, but even then, you could stay)