Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Inkspell


Last week after Enrichment was over, I needed something very easy on the mind to read. I didn't want to read any of the non-fiction that I have on my list right now, just a nice children's/YA fantasy escape kind of book. I picked up Inkspell from the library and then took it with me to Barnes and Noble on the morning after to start reading it while I sipped some hot cocoa. It was the perfect read.

Cornelia Funke is a wonderful writer. She weaves a tale in a beautiful way, developing intriguing characters and scenes, with beautiful words. I don't feel empty after reading her book, as I do with some escape literature. Under each chapter title is a quotation from some other great work of literature, and I loved reading those before starting a chapter. I don't know if she did that in Inkheart as well, since I listened to that one. By the way, as I was reading, I couldn't get Lynn Redgrave's voice out of my head--she was an amazing narrator for Inkheart. I started listening to Inkspell but couldn't get over the jarring new narrator.

Part of the reason why I loved the Inkspell is that it is a book about books. Funke develops the idea--in a fantasy way--of the power of books, of the worlds that books create and take us to, and of the throbbing vitality of words in books. That all resonates with me of course. One of the main characters is a book binder and he and some of the other main characters have a deep reverence and respect for books. There are many great quotations about books--in Inkheart too.

Like, when Meggie was packing for her voyage into Inkworld. "She had thought hard about what book to take. Going without one would have seemed to her like setting off naked." I always think a lot about what kinds of books to take with me when I leave home too. I hate the thought of being somewhere without a book I want to read, and without being able to get my hands on my easily. It bothers me to no end when AJ goes on a business trip, and doesn't take anything to read and then ends up spending $10 on some plot-driven, never-want-to-read-again paperback.

And Mo's description of paper back books. "Books in beach clothes, badly dressed for most occasions, but useful when you're on vacation." I have a great many paper backs on my shelf. Hardbacks: too expensive for me most of the time, but a great sentiment from a bookbinder.

I love the Meggie has a special box for all her favorite books.

But her old friends, the books Meggie had already owned before they had moved in with Elinor, still lived in the box, and when she opened the heavy lid it was almost as if half-forgotten voices met her ears and familiar faces were looking at her. How well worn they all were..."Isn't it odd how much fatter a books gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said when, on Meggie's last birthday, they were looking at all her dear old books again. "As if something were left between the pages each time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar."

I did find the budding romance between Meggie and Farid to be somewhat strange. I couldn't really see their appeal to each other. And I wondered about the Fenoglio-God who is trying to keep Inkworld under control with his writing and words. I have no idea if Funke was making any kind of larger commentary on God and his ability (or not) to control his creations. It was interesting to think about after reading Pullman's Dark Materials.

I also think that playing with death is only bound to get everyone in trouble. Why try to bring Dustfinger back to life? I thought it would have been better to let Farid stay dead. I wonder where she's going with this. I don't know when the third book is supposed to be out, but it's clear this book is a transition with lots of loose ends.

No comments: